Grand Forks reservoir upgrade
Grand Forks City Hall (MyGrandForksNow.com staff)
The City of Grand Forks has received a $3.6 million “Investing in Canada Infrastructure Program” grant (ICIP). The grant was awarded to the City by the Government of Canada and the Province of British Columbia.
The City’s grant application was based on several years of planning to upgrade the Eastside reservoir in both capacity for regular demand and firefighting. The upgrade will increasing volume by about 15%, and will extend its life span.
The grant will fund 100% of the project with 60% being federal, and the remaining 40% covered by the province. Design and planning is now scheduled to begin this summer and construction is expected to start next year.
Grand Forks Mayor Brian Taylor said: “This is a significant project, and to have 100% funding contributed by the federal and provincial governments makes this a big win for the taxpayers of Grand Forks. We need to capitalize on fully-funded grants when they become available.”