Listen Live

HomeNewsGrand Forks NewsUPDATED: Six Manly Meadows properties on evacuation order

UPDATED: Six Manly Meadows properties on evacuation order

Six properties in the Manly Meadows area of rural Grand Forks are back on evacuation order.

The Regional District of Kootenay Boundary says it’s because the Kettle River is cutting off access to them. A previous evacuation order for them was downgraded to an alert last week.

While abnormally hot weather over the weekend brought no changes to evacuation alerts and orders in the Boundary, officials continue to keep an eye on local rivers and streams.

“Things went as expected over the weekend,” said Regional District of Kootenay Boundary emergency operations manager Mark Stephens.

- Advertisement -

“We did receive hot temperatures at alpine sites that is rapidly melting the remaining snow and has correlated to the rivers increasing. We’ve seen rivers rise about a foot in the Boundary over the last 48 hours.”

Stephens said that is about four feet (1.2 meters) lower than the previous weekend, but they are still expecting rivers to reach similar levels later this week, around Thursday or Friday.

They are asking residents who have protected their properties through sandbagging to keep those protections in place until after the next high water.

There are 621 addresses on evacuation alert and one address on evacuation order within rural areas of the Boundary as well as within the village of Midway and Village of Fruitvale.

- Advertisment -
- Advertisment -
- Advertisement -

Continue Reading